Monday, July 14, 2008

Another busy weekend

So much for posting everyday. When the wind blows I loose my connection. We called the phone company, and of course, it was dead calm when they called back. Just another work in progress...
I started some veggie seeds. I didn’t do this sooner because I didn’t want to start a garden if we were going to be booted out at any time. Since it looks like we’re going to be here longer, and the price of everything going through the roof, I decided it was worth it. I have had great success gardening here in the past. The seeds were 10 packets for a dollar, so what the heck. Maybe we’ll get to eat fresh tomatoes again.


The Sherline tongue weight scale came in Friday. We weighed the pod Saturday. The tongue weight was 1250 lbs. That’s too much. Time to lighten up! Out go the canned goods in the pantry. We’ll weigh again later. I guess we’ll have to put together a mess kit to haul in the suburban (just like camping). We’ll just eat the canned goods and collect dry food from now on. Being newbies at towing a travel trailer, we thought it best to get the scale rather than take a chance at guesstimating. It’s a pretty cool little device.


We made a trip to town that was interesting. We got to witness lines at the pumps that were reminiscent of the ones in the 70’s. We finally broke down and got a Costco card. You’ve got to watch their pricing just like you do anywhere else. Some things are a better buy, while others are as much, if not more than the grocery store. Non-perishables were the only things I was interested in. I figure it’s worth the initial cost just in saving money on gas by cutting down on trips to the grocery store. We also went by a restaurant supply type store. They had lots of bulk items. We were pretty tired by then, so we’ll go back some other time for beans, flour, and other stuff. I noticed you’ve got to watch them too. They had the exact same taco seasoning for almost 3 times as much as Costco! Sneaky lil' buggers.

No comments: