Thursday, November 20, 2008







As I had mentioned, Randy has been off the last few days. We actually started on getting the heads off the Suburban. This is not a job for the faint of heart. I had no idea what a serious pain in the ass this was going to be. I’ve taken my usual position as tool runner (I’m even getting better at it), medic, etc. This time however, I decided to bag and tag bolts and removed parts. I’ve also been writing down each step on a legal pad. I’m hoping this will make it faster and easier to put this jigsaw back together again. I’ve been taking a few pictures as well. And, of course, I’m going to share…


I don't know if you can see it in this picture, but there is this black carbon sludge in the oil galley. (I know it's there twice. I couldn't figure out how to get the small one off without starting over.)


And now for the money shot...


I'm also resident photographer, so no pics of me.



1 comment:

Mayberry said...

Another good way to keep the hardware organized is to punch holes in a big piece of cardboard, stick the bolts through, then label 'em.... Don't forget the sealant on those head bolts when they go back in!! And take yer time, torque them down right, in increments. It would suck to repeat this job! Another tip from one who's overhauled many a small block Chevy, ditch the rubber intake manifold "seals" that go on the fore and aft ends. Those things never seal worth a crap, and I always would up goopin' 'em up with silicone. So skip the middle man! Run you about a 3/8 inch bead of RTV instead (being sure to tie that bead in with the bead you run around the cooling passages). It helps to have a couple "guide studs" (long bolts with heads cut off) to guide the intake manifold back down squarely and not make a mess out of the RTV.