Sunday, October 5, 2008

Crunch time

It seems like everybody is feeling the crunch right now, in some form or another. It’s times like these that you find out who‘s with you and whose against you. Some of that has gotten straightened out for me these last couple of weeks. We got a breath away from saving Randy’s mom and dad’s place last week. Randy wrangled a hell of a deal with the AG’s office. A lot of options/promises were passed back and worth across the table between Randy and me and my mom and her husband. What it came down to was her husband wanted to buy it outright and give us the privilege of living here to clean up and take care of the place like share croppers. Well, my momma didn’t raise no fool! I suppose folks the likes of Randy and I don’t deserve a little place of their own. I even mentioned putting it in just mine and her names and leave the men (and their egos) out of it. The response was a firm insistence that it be put in their names. If she ok’ed this, it was most likely because she had thrown her hands up. She didn’t want this place. She said as much on more than one occasion. It was just too sweet a deal for her husband to allow anyone else to have, when he could just take it all for himself. Greed is an ugly thing. My mother is by no stretch of the imagination a greedy person. I know who was behind this cluster f*ck, as do the ones watching. She went above and beyond to not come between her husband and his kids. And now he’s created a riff between my mom and me that I don’t know if we can ever recover from. In the end, I may have been the one to cut the ties, but enough was enough. With his influence, it was a long time coming. At my mother’s request, I have tolerated his bullsh*t for over 12 years. This was just the straw.
The whole thing makes me sick. All I can do is remind him that karma is a bitch.

2 comments:

Mayberry said...

Ah, family.... My aunt and uncle went through a similar thing. They haven't spoken in years now....

riverwalker said...

Money fuels the flames of greed dividing all!

RW