Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

No more back and forth over here, for now anyway. I have to keep in mind that it is only five years. Plus, it’s one full acre. That's a lot of space. I guess it’s a matter of perception, perspective, and all that kind of stuff. We are going to have to be a little more creative to get the things done than we would have liked. But, we are going to stay focused on working on this place for a while. So, I‘m going to concentrate on the positives.
The big thing that works to our advantage is that you can grow just about anything here. We already have a few neglected fruit trees (2 apple, 1 plumb, and 1 sad broken down pear). I don’t know if we can bring those poor things back or not. I have a few ideas about maybe taking some cuttings off of those and planting them in better locations. The other thought is to take one of the fruits and start from there. I’m going to have to learn some more about doing that and proper organic care of the trees and fruit. The people across the street have walnut trees. I know they take time to produce, but we can get free fallen walnuts and start from them. I would really like to get some nice trees (not Russian Olive trees) in the front yard. The less lawn the better! I’m already dreaming about next year’s garden. Right now, I’m going to go outside and fill up the garbage can. Tomorrow is trash day!

3 comments:

tweell said...

Walnut trees are long-lived, slow to grow and produce. You won't get anything useful in just 5 years, I reckon. Here's a useful sheet (it'd be even more useful if you were in Tennessee, but can still be handy): http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/spfiles/SP307-H.pdf

Mayberry said...

All you can do is the best ya can with what ya got. An acre is good. And I bet with a little TLC, those fruit trees will come back nicely....

Anonymous said...

Yep, you live in a very good fertile valley. Good decision! stick with it.